Friday, October 3, 2008

Look at the Pretty Pokies!

Usually when we drive from Yuma to Phoenix, we are driving hell-bent for leather (WHAT does that mean, exactly?), getting from point A to B. It is not the most exciting drive and after cmpleting it a few times it's just not that remarkable anymore. While driving home on Thursday, I decided to stop and snap some shots on Dead Cow Road. It's actually called Maricopa Road or State Road 238. While pulling the car over and looking for some good views, I was thinking back 15 years ago this week. My niece, Carlee, and I were driving through the desert for the first time. Every time we saw a Saguaro Cactus, we'd get all freaked out!
By the time Deb and i took her to the airport a week later, it was "It is way too hot and why did I move here?" It was a drastic change from the beautiful mountains of Utah to the big piles of petrified dinosaur poop they call mountains here! However! I love the beauty of the desert and am still occasionally awed by the strength of those mighty saguaros that grow ever so slowly, reaching to the sun, instead of hiding from it like most of us crotchety desert rats!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I love the pictures. They make the Yuma area inviting

Jean said...

I love the pictures too!