Thursday, October 2, 2008

To Phoenix We Will Go...

Grandma and ATC in the car on "Dead Cow Road" between Gila Bend and Maricopa, AZ
Aunt Lori and Grandma
Friends for 33 years...we met before our parents conceived us (wink, wink!)!
We had to make a quickly planned trip to Phoenix today for a doctor's appointment for ATC. DH stayed home with the 3 younger ones and I dragged Grandma to Phoenix with us. She didn't kick and scream too much!
One of the highlights of the trip was having lunch with our dear family friend, Lori. Through the years, contact has been rare at times, but we've managed to maintain it. In my more slender days, we looked more alike...so we were told. I have often wished I could be more like her. She is an accomplished wife, mother, singer/songwriter and performer. There were times when we were growing up that we fought like true siblings instead of chosen ones! I remember our parents threatening us, "...if you two don't stop fighting...". There was even jealousy on my part when she seemed to be mom's favorite. And she probably was the majority of the time! She and her husband have recently moved to Phoenix, so I am looking forward to renewing our relationship and having my children get to know she and her husband.
If you would like to hear samples of her music, http://www.missloridawn.com there's some pretty cool stuff there.
The trip was quick and full of information. ATC gets to have surgery on Halloween in Phoenix. Poor kid. We talked about how blessed we were when we saw some of the other kids at Phoenix Children's Hospital that in comparison, his issues were not too bad to deal with. I've also realized how important it is to be educated about your child's health. Poor ATC gets to be my "experiment" , my lab frog, the one I'm learning on. It was nice to be able to spend some time with him and introduce him to Aunt Lori. His comment was, "Wow, Mom, she's pretty!"

1 comment:

Jean said...

How fun to reconnect with your friend! I hope you have lots of fun times now that she lives closer.